Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mock Garlic Mashed Potatoes

DON'T FORGET IF YOU WANT TO WIN A CHANCE FOR A FREE 10-DAY CHALLENGE, YOU NEED TO LET ME KNOW BY TODAY IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE! The sign up for those participating will close on Monday, May 10th.


Here's what Tina had to say about the Cleanse that I am offering with it: "Tried the 2-day cleanse- was mucho better than I anticipated. Filled me up (surprisingly), tasted great, not gritty or chalky. Mixed with skim milk, and a little ice in the blender. Lost 6 lbs. Will try to keep it off! Highly recommended!"


ARE YOU GOING TO LOSE A FEW BEFORE SUMMER WITH US?????
**Just click on this link and add yourself in the comments section **

Ok, here's a new recipe:

For some time I have been hearing that cauliflower can be replaced for potatoes in recipes, and can even serve as mashed potatoes, so the other night while daddies were away, some of us girls decided to give it a shot (note: it's best to try a controversial recipe like this while hubby is away so you don't have to hear "told you so" if they don't turn out) AND THEY WERE GREAT!

Aside from the little bit of aftertaste that comes from cauliflower there was no major difference. Everyone at the table loved them, and my three year old was eating scoops full saying, "These are delicious mashed potatoes"... had he only known he was eating heaping helpings of cauliflower!

So here's the recipe:
Three bags of frozen cauliflower (I think each bag was like 12 oz., but don't quote me)
1 tbsp Fat Free Cream Cheese
1/4 c Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 tsp Minced Garlic
1/2 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Ground Pepper
1/2 tsp Chives
3 tbsp Butter

They are very simple to make. Just boil the cauliflower for 6 minutes or until it's well done, drain the water off, and throw in the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper. Use a food processor or blender to mix fairly smooth (I used a hand beater, and it was too choppy- I don't recommend it.) It takes a lot of blending to get them smooth. I also added small dashes of milk until the consistency was what I wanted. At the end throw on the butter, and garnish with chives. Enjoy!

So, is it worth it? I've done a comparison of the identical recipes with potatoes and cauliflower. Here is the results

**grrr, I've reformatted this 3 times, it just won't stay, sorry. You get the point.**
Mock Potatoes Real Potatoes (assuming you use the peels)
Calories 88 148
Carbs 7g 21g
Protein 3.6g 3.9g
Fat 5.8g 5.8g
Cholesterol 15.6mg 15.6mg
Sodium 268mg 238mg
Fiber 3.2g 3.2g
Sugar 3.1g 1.6g
Vit A 183IU 177IU
Vit C 59mg 26mg
Calcium 66mg 50mg
Iron .6mg .7mg
Potassium 394mg 550mg

So that makes the cauliflower a winner in my book! Give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment