Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The New Adventure

So, I decided that this fall I needed something to really challenge me. My spirits were a little low, I was exhausted after a long, hard, summer, and my weight is up a few pounds... not much, just need to get everything back in check.

Time to refer to my bucket list. So, on October 10th, I will be doing this...


I am so excited, and so scared at the same time. I knew this would push me to get in my workouts, and to eat better for the sake of my body.

This brings me to the next part. I plan to update you weekly on how my training is going. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Starting with today.

Week 1: For most people this would be week 4 in their training, but since I was struggling with pneumonia, I lost out on a couple of weeks. Therefore, I have had to play "catch up". I jumped in last Tuesday night with new shoes on my feet. I set out to run 3 miles... holy crap those shoes KILLED my feet. I was getting cramps right in the middle of my foot. Made it through 1.5 miles, and decided to call it a night. Spent another 40 minutes on the elliptical.

Thursday night I did Turbokick followed by 45 minutes on the treadmill. Mostly walking.

Saturday I decided I would take out on a 3 mile run outdoors. I like running better outdoors. My mind can wander instead of counting laps or watching the time tick on the treadmill. I felt better, except the foot cramps again. Then, the humidity. Long story short, I gutted out about 2 miles of running. The heat did me in, even that early. I ate really well Saturday, and tried to focus for the next day.

Sunday, I got up at 7:00. Trying to beat the humidity, I took off on a 5 mile run, and put in about 4 miles before I was done. (I finished the 5th mile walking.)

Monday night, I went with the Do More Team to do a 4-mile power walk. This was a no frills workout. We did about 20 sets of intervals during the walk, including squats, lunges, butt kicks, high knees, etc. Believe it or not, I had a lot of fun!

So there you have it, week one of training. I really need to get my eating in check, so I started logging foods again today. I want to be down about 20 pounds by the run, so I have a lot of work to do.

1 comment:

  1. A lot of people have asked me about that run. On the one hand, I am flattered to be thought of as somebody who may be interested. But on the other hand, I am so not interested. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete