Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Only One Who Thinks You Can't

is you!

We are our own worst enemy. It's true. We hold ourselves back, second guess, doubt, and diminish our best selves.

Today I put the rubber to the track and took off running. I have not run since I completed my half-marathon in October. I have continued to struggle with stress, and weight, and time commitments, etc this winter until I kind of feel like I reached rock bottom. It felt SO good to run.

Here's the sad part. I didn't believe I could run anymore. I kept telling myself that because I had gained weight since the half I was to heavy to run, and that my body would not tolerate it. I was allowing myself to fail before I even tried... and we ALL know I can run. Good grief, just 6 months ago I ran 13.1 miles. So I thought, just run a couple of laps, then stop. Get your foot back in the game...

I ran 4 miles! My first day back on the track and I ran 4 miles. Guess why I stopped... my NEW shoes frickin hurt. I really believe I could have gone farther, but I was gaining blisters in several places, and there is no point in putting myself in that much pain. I ran 4 miles! I am so stoked.

All I can do is encourage you to know who you are. Know that you are stronger than your mind will often allow you to be. The road may be long, the muscles may ache, and no one said it wouldn't be hard, but it is ALWAYS worth it to be stronger and healthier. So get out there and do 1 thing today that you think you can't do, because the only one who thinks that is you!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I could do an hour in the gym with my hard core sister... Oh wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I too struggle with daily. I will have to try to get back to my workout schedule again :)

    ReplyDelete