Thursday, February 25, 2010

Who Are You?

So I know that I'm the one holding the reigns on this blog, but I really do want to create a sense of community here, so I would really like to know who you are. Since this blog is about leading a healthy lifestyle, I would really know where you are on that journey, just starting, wishing you could... what is your driving force, why do you want to change? Have you had success, goals met? What are some of your weakness', how can we help you?

I know, that seems like a lot of work, but I want this to be productive. I want you to be excited to read this. I want this blog to help you move forward. I want to know you!

So here is more about me... I would say my journey has started in phases. First of all it started on December 31st, 2002. Brian and I were 20 minutes from Manhattan, KS, when I received a phone call from my dad telling me that my mother had suddenly and unexpectedly passed away. She died of cardiomyopathy. Essentially, her heart burst. There was no way she could be saved. No amount of medical attention would bring her back. My mother weighed around 300 pounds. She was absolutely the greatest mom ever. I remember her struggling with her weight, wanting to be different, her aches, her desire to be healthier.

Flash forward to 2006, I delivered my first baby Cole, and in 2007, my second baby Carter. With both babies I had the joy of suffering from PIH (pregnancy induced high blood pressure). I have no doubt that my weight was a factor. Suddenly I was a mom of two! I wanted, needed to be like my mom, minus one thing... the extra weight.

Unfortunately, nothing really clicked for me... until I got on the scales in August of 2008 and weighed 262 pounds. I vowed I would never weigh more than 250 (like that was a good goal or something). So we joined our local YMCA, and the ball starting rolling, downhill, fast, and a learned a little, and it rolled faster, and I tweaked a little, and... you get the point. I won't lie and say it has all been sunshine and roses. Once I hit 199 pounds, I plateaued, FOR 9 MONTHS! I continued to do the best I could trying, but not hard. Eating well, but not great, and then came the holidays.

I did well until the week between Christmas and new years, and my weight slowly crept back to 204 pounds. I realized I was not done with this journey, and my weight was not going to kill me quickly or slowly. Since new years, I'm back on track, logging my food, putting in my time at the YMCA, and today I am down to 182 pounds (22 pounds since January 4th!) So there you have my story. I still love to eat... a lot. I also love to see myself change, explore new things, and to challenge myself. Now I want to get to know you!

So one last time I will post these pics. This is me in August 2008, 262 lbs.


This was taken at around 199 lbs.
Like I said, I am now at 182 (sorry haven't had time for new photos!)

I think that bump over my pants (my tummy) is almost gone!

I have no words for this.


With all of that being said, check the blog tomorrow morning for a new fitness event! Think spring!

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your mom, Mandy, I didn't know she passed. You are a brave person, in so many ways! :) I am looking forward to the recipes people share on your blog, I like to cook (though I'm not very good) and try new things. After June when I have the baby, I'll be ready for some of your workout tips too. I found that losing the weight after a pregnancy isn't the easiest thing to do in the world, even when my total weight gain was at 30lbs which isn't horrible, but still a lot of extra weight. So I'll be ready to jump on the group bandwagon for kickboxing classes or whatever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Sherry! I am planning a Snack on this Saturday where I/we can post little snacks for the weekend. I love sharing recipes. We can't wait to have you turbokicking with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am Monica. We've met! I think I am going to leave the Meet Up group. Obviously I do not attend anything. I spend about five mornings a week at the Andover Y, so there is just no time for me to do anything else. Working out is my top priority, so I don't do the whole play group thing anymore. Plus I live nearly to Leon, Kansas, so it is a BIG DEAL for me to go any further west than Andover. ANYWAY, I lost 80 pounds last year. The whole New Year's Resolution thing. I went from 220 to 140. I ran a lot. Five miles a day many days a week. Then I suffered a stress fracture in my right foot the day after Christmas. I have also lifted weights for about a year now, so I am focusing more on weights and less on running now. I run about two miles at a time, five days a week, and lift weights about four days a week. I will think about the River Run! I have been thinking about it for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog, Mandy - you look amazing! It's very inspiring. I'm still hanging on to 20 lbs of baby weight that I'd love to get rid of, but I'm so bad at dieting (I used to have an eating disorder so I'm a little over careful) and can't seem to find time to work out. Excuses excuses. Thanks for starting this blog, I look forward to the motivation :) Hopefully we'll be seeing more of you all at meet-up, esp as the weather warms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for starting this, Mandy, and for being such an awesome motivator. I've been thinking for approximately 16 months (since that's how old my babe will be tomorrow!) that I really need to get working out. You've done amazing things and are a great inspiration! I'd really like to lose 30 pounds. About 20 pounds of that is 16-month-old baby weight & the other 10 is what I'd always intended to lose before I got pregnant. We've been talking about baby #2, so I'd like to get a good start on losing before I have those pounds to add back on.

    I've never really made a concerted effort to lose weight. I've gone through periods of being in better shape than others, but the idea of dieting just doesn't work for me. I'm up for a lifestyle change! I really want my kids to grow up in an active, healthy household. About 6 yrs ago, I had a car accident that caused some problems in my neck & shoulder. Unfortunately, that's flared up every time I've tried to start working out again. After spending a few months last summer in PT, I think I finally have to tools to do it!

    Phew... that was wordy! :)

    ReplyDelete