Monday, October 18, 2010

100 Calorie Snacks

You know we all have moments when we are hungry, and it's not meal time. This is an ok feeling, and in the "dieting" world really very good for you. You see, it's often encouraged that you eat 3 small meals, and 2-3 small snacks each day. This keeps your metabolism high.

I prefer to have 500 or so calorie meals which leaves me room for a snack each day. I generally need this snack in the afternoon. Often, we don't eat dinner until 7:00 (after our workout), which leaves a 6 hour gap between meals... too long! This is when I am constantly left wondering... what can I have that won't blow my calories out of the roof, won't leave me hungry in 10 minutes, and will satisfy me.

Here are some options.
**Disclaimer: not all snacks will be 100 calories even, but the first number in the calorie count will be no larger than 100 : ) **

* A Light Yogurt, 100 calories. Yoplait offers TONS of flavors. If you can spare a few more calories, sprinkle on some granola for crunch.



* Fruit dipped in a Jello Pudding Snack, 60 calories, plus the value of the fruit. I love dipping either a banana (90 calories) or strawberries (50 calories) in the chocolate flavored pudding, yum!

* A thin bagel with 1 serving of low fat cream cheese, 180 calories.

* A bag of mini popcorn, 165 calories. I am sure you can do this for less calories, but I must confess that I cannot give up the "butter" flavor. I don't walk on water!

* Sugar free jello, 10 calories. Eat the whole 6 pack!

* A Kashi fruit and grain bar, 120 calories. If you have not tried one of these, they are WONDERFUL! I have had the chocolate raspberry, and the pumpkin one. It's like eating a candy bar, or pumpkin pie with true health benefits.

* A small salad. As long as you stick with 1 serving of a low fat dressing, and don't put anything other than veggies in your salad... (i.e., skip the croutons and cheese), you should come in well under 200 calories



* A cheese stick, 80 calories.

* A slice of whole wheat toast with 1 tbsp of peanut butter, 150 calories. Have you had warm peanut butter, oh my! Be sure to measure your peanut butter, it's a calorie bomb, and smearing it on will rack the points up quickly.

* This apple snack, 89 calories. Apples pack great fiber, so they will keep you full.

* Litehouse Ranch dip, 60 calories, plus as many raw veggies as you can eat.

* 1/2 cup 2% Lowfat Cottage Cheese, 90 calories. You can put this with tomatoes, sunflower seeds, pineapple, whatever. Be creative.

* 3 or 4 slices of deli meat (ham, turkey, roast beef) on whole wheat bread, with fat free mayo, 170 calories.



* 2 tbsp red pepper hummus with 1 oz pretzels, 150 calories.

* 1 oz black bean chips with 1/4 cup salsa, 170 calories.



I think this goes to show that most anything can be a snack if you keep your portions right. Always measure your foods, and stick to it. This is not a meal, just something to tide you over for a couple of hours. Snack time is a great time to sneak in extra fruits and veggies for the day, and I really can't think of one that would be out of the calorie range.

Be sure that when you have a snack that you are packing either fiber, protein, or both into the snack, as these are the items that will keep you full. Also, drink a glass of water with your snack. Often dehydration and hunger are confused, so cover your bases and stay hydrated.

I would love to hear if you have a great snack to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment