Thursday, April 22, 2010
Diet Coke Chicken
I absolutely love this recipe, and have my friend Lindsay to thank for introducing me to it a couple of years ago. It's super simple, and although it takes some time on the stove, it's a very low maintenance recipe that your whole family will love.
Note: even if you don't like the taste of Diet Coke, that is not the flavor that comes through in the end. It ends up tasting kind of like a BBQ sauce. Give it a shot!
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can Diet Coke
1 cup ketchup
2 c uncooked brown rice
1. Chop the chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes
2. Throw the chicken into hot pan just for a minute, you don't have to cook it.
3. Add the Diet Coke and ketchup
4. Boil the ingredients for 5 minutes
5. After 5 minutes, turn the stove down to a point in which the mix will bubble, but not boil.
6. Simmer for 45 minutes or until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
7. Remove from heat and allow to sit for a few minutes to finish thickening before serving.
Prepare the rice as directed, and pour your chicken mixture over the rice to enjoy!
A couple of things: 1. The mix will look really foamy and odd when you start cooking it. Don't worry, it does that. 2. If the sauce isn't thickening after 45 minutes, just keep simmering for a few more, it won't hurt anything, and sometimes it just takes a little longer.
This recipe is also delicious if you add some stir-fry veggies in at the end and mix them up!
Nutritional Information: makes 4 servings, per serving: 320 calories, 4 g fat, 66 mg cholesterol, 871 mg sodium, 2 g sugar, 14 g fiber, 27 g protein