Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Inquiring Minds Want to Know

... How often do you weigh yourself?

I am a daily weigher. I get up every morning, turn on the shower, use the bathroom, strip, and weigh. It's as consistent as I can get. I also track my weight each day on Calorie Count.

However, I only count my weekly weight loss on Fridays. You see, I seem to have a reasonably perfect diet from Monday through Friday, but come Friday night, all bets are off. I mean, don't get me wrong, I still eat well, but I overindulge a little, eat out, etc. By Monday morning the scale is usually up about 2 pounds, but throughout the week I lose those 2 pounds plus a couple more, so I only count actual weight loss for the week every Friday morning.

This is the best article I have ever read defending my position on weighing daily. I get people all the time telling me not to be so hard on myself. To "not weigh tomorrow". Weighing keeps me on track. Sometimes it even causes me to relax a little. Once I realize that I can eat things in moderation without gaining a ton of weight, I learn to enjoy this process a little more.

So fill me in, what is your routine? How often do you weigh?

6 comments:

  1. Every couple weeks. But that's mostly because my scale is awful and fluctuates within 5 lbs depending on where it is on the floor or how I shift on my feet. What kind of scale do you use? I'd love to find one that's actually accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I weigh everday too - first thing in the morning - and only track on Tuesdays. I think it is a good thing for the same exact reasons as you. Sometimes I will have a bad eating and/or working out day but the scale will show me that the whole week is not blown after all. It is also very encouraging to see the scale go down on a more regular basis and it also helps to reinforce that you are or aren't doing the right things and then you can adjust much quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would personally drive myself crazy if I weighed myself everyday, but I understand that it works for some people. I would say I check my weight maybe every couple weeks or so, I notice I fluctuate about 3-4 pounds if I do it sooner than that. Since I'm 26 weeks pregnant though, I do jump on the scale more often just to keep the weight gain in check! :) Also, I don't worry too much about the actual number on the scale (within reason), rather, how my clothes are fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I started, I only weighed myself on Friday's. However, for some reason in the past few months it's been everyday. I don't really like doing it every day cause then it determines my mood for that day. Even if it puts me in a good mood then I start thinking I am invincible or something so I tend to be a little lenient. So this is me saying, starting today, I am going back to only Friday morning weigh in's. This will keep me from being lenient with myself and help me to try harder and stop being obsessed. But I do perform my weigh in's at the same time, right when I get up with nothing on. This makes the weigh in more accurate since I do the same thing each time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see that Stacey. Sometimes if I feel like I tried really hard, and didn't lose what I expected, then I am bummed and hard on myself. Rarely do I feel invincible. Weight loss motivates me to more weight loss, so a good day makes it better, but a bad day can make it so much worse. Let us know how your Friday weigh-ins go.

    Cat, I use a Taylor digital scale. It was fairly inexpensive, and I like that it weighs in tenths of pounds... may only lose .4 on the scale, but it's something!

    Thanks for your input girls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I weigh every few days or twice a week. Every day is too often for me and causes me to have some kind of emotional reaction one way or another. I also use a digital scale. It is a Curves brand and was around $40.

    ReplyDelete